From Clifton Nurseries
Working For: Clifton Nurseries
Nursery Manager required.
Job Ref: ADV465
A unique and exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Garden Centre retailer to take management responsibility for the outdoor plant area and shops at our historic and much-loved independent garden centre, Clifton Nurseries in Little Venice, London W9.
We are looking for an energetic, self-motivated, experienced and inspiring retail leader with an eye for detail and a proven track record for delivering positive results, and championing market leading customer experience standards.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Thrive from working in a dynamic boutique garden retail business
- Flourish from being able to use your excellent leadership and sales skills, making good use of your previous retail experience
- Cultivate a positive and enthusiastic environment
- Delight in offering market leading customer service
- Demonstrate your passion for plants; preferably with a recognised horticultural qualification or experience
- Help shape the outdoor plant and shop assortments working alongside our Commercial and Buying Manager
- Grow further your proven experience of inspiring, leading, organising and supporting the Nursery’s overall performance
Reporting to the Commercial and Buying Manager you will be able to demonstrate commercial flair and confidence and you will have a good understanding of the outdoor plant market, garden sundries and current trends. You will be accomplished at working with Buying, Operations and Finance functions and you will have a good track record for developing and motivating both the team and individuals.
The remuneration package £35K to £40K depending on experience, will include everything necessary to attract the ideal candidate including an attractive base salary, bonus potential and pension contributions.
To apply for this position at Clifton Nurseries London, please email a covering letter and up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying Nursery Manager, Clifton London as the role you are interested in.
Clifton Nurseries is an equal opportunities employer.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Nursery Manager
REPORTING TO: Commercial and Buying Manager – Clifton Nurseries
PRIME JOB PURPOSE: Inspires, leads, organises, and supports Clifton Nurseries London, ensuring the consistent delivery of key results through behaviours which demonstrate Clifton Nurseries values and principles. Acts as a role model, is responsible for the ongoing development of the nursery team and talent pipeline.
- To ensure the nursery team are focused on and hungry for sales growth and are aware of the budgets and the bestselling stocks
- To drive and deliver inspiring, commercial, current and easy to shop merchandise layouts and displays in a timely and organised manner.
- To advocate and deliver customer service excellence across the team and be recognised as a ‘world class customer service’ retail operation.
- To lead the retail small plant ups operation for the Nursery and to grow sales in this area of the Garden centre and our Landscape and Maintenance departments
- To ensure that the ‘look’ and feel of Clifton Nurseries London, from the opening statement at the nursery entrance through to the pay points, is always of the highest order.
- To work closely with the Commercial and Buying Manager to ensure that the nursery is stocked to the correct level with well maintained premium quality plants and products.
- To ensure that there is a good knowledge of what’s happening in the horticultural and retail market place and how Clifton Nurseries are performing, so that the proposition remains up to date, competitive and differentiated within the market
- To ensure that both Retail and Trade enquiries and orders are efficiently and accurately processed and fulfilled, and that any customer issues or complaints are promptly, courteously, and effectively resolved.
- MEASURE: TO DELIVER AND EXCEED AGREED SALES BUDGETS FOR RETAIL, PLANT UP PROJECTS, INTERNAL AND TRADE CUSTOMERS
- To support and lead a strong, professional and competent team, providing inspiration and individual development.
- To ensure effective planning and implementation of tasks within the nursery to deliver the trading targets and objectives set.
- To ensure that new team members are inducted into the business, risk assessments are completed and up to date. Support individual team members training needs and development to maximise their engagement and potential within the business.
- Ensure that the nursery team regularly attend communication meetings and one to one development meetings to continuously develop their knowledge, skills and contribution as a team and individuals.
- Ensure that an annual appraisal is carried out with each member of the nursery team and that progress against personal development objectives is monitored and supported throughout the year
- Ensure that communication channels between Clifton’s Leadership team, selling, buying, administration, finance and landscaping teams are clear and effective.
- Work with the Buying and Commercial Manager, alongside the Assistant Nursery Manager to ensure the retail team are aware of and knowledgeable of the features and benefits of products sold and that regular training sessions are held.
- Ensure nursery payroll costs are within budget.
- Support recruitment of the nursery team according to the needs of the business, placing positive can do attitude high on the wish list.
- MEASURE: GOOD RETENTION OF BEST STAFF, EASE OF RECRUTING THE RIGHT CALIBRE OF STAFF, LOWER SICK ABSENCE FIGURES AND A STAFF TURNOVER BELOW 10%
- Ensure that stock is always presented and displayed in a way which inspires, surprises and delights the customer.
- Work closely with the Commercial and Buying Manager and Assistant Nursery Manager to ensure that good stock control and stock availability disciplines are developed and implemented to support the accuracy of the systems information and sales reports to optimise sales potential and to minimise wastage and stock loss.
- To be comfortable with and use on a weekly basis the EPOS reported sales data to grow sales and help minimise stock levels
- Work with the Commercial and Buying Manager to ensure that all stock is properly and promptly checked in, ticketed and put out/away, so that sales are optimised, and EPOS reporting is accurate.
- Assist in the management and maintenance of all retail spaces and stock rooms to ensure a consistently clean, safe and tidy shopping and working environment.
- MEASURE: TOP 20 BEST SELLERS FOR EACH CATEGORY ALWAYS AVAILABLE, AND LAST YEARS SALES CONSITENTLY BEATEN, PLANT WASTAGE TO BE LESS THAN 5%
- Ensure full nursery team compliance to health and safety procedures at all times in accordance with Clifton’s Health and Safety policy statement.
- Work with the Nursery team to ensure premium care and condition of all retail stock including plants, shrubs and trees.
- Liaise with the on-site catering team to help exceed Clifton’s customer expectations and to flag any issues or concerns.
- Ensure that the nursery team support any events taking place within the nursery and its catering operation with appropriately high standards of presentation and staffing.
Knowledge and Business Critical Behaviours:
- Inspiring and clear leadership pulling upon past experience of leading/managing a team
- Good understanding of Health and Safety in a retail environment
- Understanding seasonal trends of the garden centre
- Understanding the needs of the business
- Having a good understanding of our premium customer profile and competitors
- Ability to organise the introduction of new products
- The ability to work supportively with the team motivating, coaching and developing individuals formally and informally
- Good general horticultural knowledge
- Full driving licence
- Well organised and able to handle pressure
- Administration – must be computer literate and have good working knowledge of Excel
- Results driven
- Honesty and integrity
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. Horticruitment are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
If you would like more information on the Garden Centre Association please click here and the Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) please click here