Nursery Manager required
Job Ref ADV495
Due to continued growth and development of our 12-acre nursery, we are now looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, and passionate horticulturalist to take on the management of the nursery and it’s growing team.
This role would suit someone that is motivated and a passionate person, who is experienced in running a nursery, organised, productive with their time and will help to continue the businesses growth and continued success on their exciting journey, whilst developing the production nursery cash and carry. Their focus is to produce retail quality stock for garden centres and domestic landscapers as well as in-house sales for their landscaping division.
What we need from you as a Horticulture Nursery Manager:
- A minimum of 5 years production nursery experience, ideally in production for retail sales but not essential
- You must be passionate about plants, enjoy working outdoors year-round in all weathers and happy to get stuck into other duties as the site continues to change and develop
- You must work well on your own as well as managing a small but growing team – currently 1 supervisor, 4 nursery assistants, 2 apprentices and additional seasonal staff during busy periods
- You must also understand the importance of plant health and quality ensuring we produce the finest retail plants with quality always being your top priority
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of importing stock from abroad and the paperwork and checks required
- A highly skilled communicator who can effectively communicate with their team as well as effectively communicating and reporting to the Group Purchasing Manager
- You must lead by example and be able to motivate and delegate tasks efficiently
Desirable but not essential:
What the role involves:
You will be involved in a variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Managing production for retail and cash and carry customers including producing production plans
- Managing the small but growing team accordingly with all nursery duties including the yard assistants leading the team by example
- Checking stock regularly to ensure optimum quality with great attention to detail and implement pest and disease control and appropriate fertiliser schedules when necessary
- Overseeing incoming stock and orders ready for dispatch to ensure we maintain our high level of quality and service
- Controlling and maintaining an irrigation system
- Liaising with customers regularly to discuss production plans, orders, and contract grows
- Complying with plant health protocol and procedures
Salary/hours: £35,000 – £45,000K per year. Working Monday to Friday 7:00am – 4:00pm. Permanent, full-time position.
- 28 days holiday including Bank Holidays
- 10% Staff Discount in the garden centre
- Generous staff discount on company nursery stock
- Company pension
- On-site parking
Please apply now!
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. horticruitment are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
If you would like more information on the Garden Centre Association please click here and the Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) please click here