General Manager required.
Job Ref A371
Founded in 2011 with the objective of sourcing and selling high quality planters to the horticultural trade,
through the efforts of the Sales Director and a network of agents, our client has managed to penetrate the market sectors of horticultural growers, garden centres, cash and carry and internet traders with annual sales reaching over £1 million in the past few years. Our client pride themselves in having a large and diverse range of products sourced in the main from China. Visits to China to meet with suppliers and attend the renowned Canton Fair have been a feature, pre-pandemic, of the company’s desire to develop and procure new and interesting products.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to replace the existing General Manager and become a vital part of a growing organisation. As the general manager, the main purpose of the position will be to manage all business aspects of the company, to grow and develop the company, to oversee the organisation’s daily operations and to manage and supervise all staff members. The key tasks for this role focus on three main areas of: sales, buying and staff management.
Sales responsibilities are as follows:
- To maintain and develop relationships with existing customers and agents and resolve any issues
- To actively recruit new customers
- To interact with all customers either by visiting or telephoning on a regular basis
- To develop pricing models for customers and negotiate prices with customers
- To grow the sales of the business year on year
- To promote the company at trade shows
- To create marketing programs
- To devise advertising campaigns
- To create and agree sales budgets with the directors of the company
Buying responsibilities are as follows:
- To maintain and develop contacts with existing suppliers in China
- To assess all products from existing suppliers
- To develop new suppliers and products in China and elsewhere in the world
- To place orders on suppliers for products
- To negotiate prices and payment terms with suppliers
- To oversee supply chain logistics and costs
- To oversee and monitor stock levels
- To create an annual procurement plan in conjunction with the directors of the company
Staff management responsibilities are as follows:
- To be responsible for and manage the staff in the office and warehouse
- Oversee staff recruitment, training and health and safety
- To ensure that the business is properly and adequately staffed at all times
- To be available to assist staff members in their duties in the office and warehouse when necessary
The successful candidate for this position will ideally possess both experience and contacts within the horticultural trade. Furthermore, our client is looking for a sales driven individual, who has excellent communication skills and previous experience in a selling environment. It is essential that a candidate must posses computer literacy skills with the ability to effectively use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and possibly Sage Accounting. The general manager will be required to produce reports on a regular and timely fashion to the directors of the company. Due to the senior nature of the position, it is essential that applicants have previously managed staff and exhibited success in doing so.
You will initially be reporting to the current Sales Director who will be gradually handing over their duties in selling and buying and administration. In addition to the Sales Director, you will also report to the directors of the company alongside its majority shareholder. As the general manager, the key results and objectives will be to maintain the profitability of the company, to maintain adequate stock levels, to grow sales year-on-year, to minimize costs and to control all overhead and promotional costs.
Performance related bonuses are offered with the position in addition to a company vehicle with motoring and travelling costs to be agreed by the directors. The holiday provided with the position is 25-days plus statutory bank holidays and the hours of work are Monday to Friday – 9am to 5pm.
If this General Manger vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Bevan Andrews on 01233 732767 or email@example.com.
To view more Sales jobs, click Sales.
To apply for a position with horticruitment you will need to complete a candidate registration form, please see Candidate Registration.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this General Manger vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this General Manger vacancy will have been unsuccessful.