Our client is a plant production nursery and arboretum in the northeast of Ipswich, Suffolk. They are seeking a skilled and experienced Assistant Plant Nursery Manager to join their team. They grow one of the largest ranges of hardy nursery stock plants in the country and are the curators of an extensive botanic collection. They also hold the Plant Heritage National Santolina Collection. Being passionate about plants, our client caters for the exclusive and discerning customer and extend sales over the whole of the UK. Together with the landscape team, they are developing an innovative range of associated products and services to support the expanding interest in environmental issues.
Our client is not a wholesale producer and they prefer to concentrate on growing small numbers of a large range of rare and unusual plants. The range starts from propagation through to specimen plants in up to 1000 litre containers.
- To support the nursery manager in fulfilling the nursery growing and production plans.
- Supervising the growing team duties to include weeding, irrigation, feeding, pruning, disease and pest control also ensure all records and database are maintained and updated.
- Ensuring the nursery team deliver to expectation in terms of picking of correct plants to the required standards for customer collection, despatch or hire.
- Preparation of planting stock for specialist plant shows.
- Share the client’s interest in environmental issues and understand how the business supports the expanding interest in green.
- Whilst keeping quality in mind, this is a commercial business where you need to work efficiently.
- Skilled and experienced in plant care and maintenance tasks.
- You will have at least 2 years’ experience working in a commercial growing nursery.
- Due to the size of plants grown, you will need to be physically fit.
- You must be prepared to work outside in a range of weather conditions.
- PA1 & PA6 certificates desirable.
- Horticultural qualifications desirable.
- Enthusiasm to increase knowledge base of Botanic plant names (Latin).
- Hands on approach and the ability to work in all weather conditions is essential.
- The ability to motivate people, good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong organisational skills and planning on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- You should possess the ability to work on your own initiative. In addition, contribute good ideas and be solution driven.
- Good team player.
- Courtesy and professionalism are expected at all times both with colleagues and the discerning customer/client base.
- The salary is attractive and negotiable dependent upon skills and experience.
- Opportunities for promotion and progression and the potential to increase remuneration and earn bonuses dependent upon performance.
- This is an exciting opportunity to extend your existing plant knowledge whilst delivering the best service.
- Working within a friendly team environment.
- Job satisfaction from working with seasonal variety and able to see production through from propagation, growing and finally product sale.
- Staff discount and free plant & design advice.
- Free parking.
- The nursery is set in beautiful Suffolk countryside.
If this Assistant Plant Nursery Manager vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 732767 or email@example.com.
To view more Nursery jobs, click Nursery.
To apply for a position with horticruitment you will need to complete a candidate registration form, please see Candidate Registration.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Assistant Plant Nursery Manager vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Assistant Plant Nursery Manager vacancy will have been unsuccessful.