Job Ref W388
Our client is an independent, 100% family-owned award-winning Garden Centre retailer, wonderfully situated in the centre of England with a 200-year-old history. Their main site is a 100,000sq ft freehold retail destination attracting over a million visitors a year. The site is a premium department store style retail operation with concessions, food hall, restaurant, as well as boasting 6 acres of display gardens. Also on site is their own production nursery that grows a range of environmentally sustainable plants in peat free compost for the retail space and ecommerce. They are now looking for an experienced Nursery Manager to ensure the newly established nursery produces quality plants not only to drive sales, but also gain horticultural credibility across their award-winning stores and website.
The role of Nursery Manager would involve reporting to the Executive Chairman to ensure the continuation of growing top quality nursery stock. Developing, motivating and training your team, and ensuring a safe working environment.
Main Duties Include:
- Effectively managing growing teams, systems, and resources to produce crops of optimal quality at the right time, by specifying, monitoring, and giving technical guidance
- Carrying out regular crop walks to identify cultural requirements and monitor pest and disease, as well as leading the walks for the buying department
- Recruiting team colleagues as required to meet seasonal peaks, as well as staff training, conducting performance reviews and disciplinaries as required.
- Ensuring all growing environments are effectively controlled and crops manipulated to ensure sales timings and targets are achieved, and waste percentages reduced
- Work with the buying team to look at new crop opportunities, as well as ensuring stock control systems are kept up to date, including quarterly stock takes
- Continually improving the efficiency of the growing processes and labour efficiency
- Liaising with internal departments to ensure facilities and equipment are in good working order, and pests and diseases are identified and dealt with at the earliest opportunity
- Using horticultural production software to input data and reference production plans
- Overseeing weekly programme of plant maintenance is in place at all times to ensure preventative crop protection and crop management are in place for the best quality plants for the garden centre market at their seasonal peak.
- Work with the Head of Estates to ensure all areas of nursery operations remain a safe place to work, adhering to all health and safety measures, completing the required training, risk assessments and any accident information where necessary.
- Participating in the weekend duty rota
- Line managing staff, taking responsibility for yearly appraisals, training needs and disciplinary matters
Candidates must have a number of years growing experience, and will preferably hold a qualification in commercial Horticulture, however this is desirable and not essential. With experience growing a wide range of quality, garden centre standard, stock; from bedding to hardy nursery stock.
- Must be IT literate in Office, and hold a strong working knowledge of Excel
- Strong leadership skills with the capacity to listen and respond
- Proven coaching skills, with the ability to give constructive feedback
- Hold a good working knowledge of irrigation and sand filter systems, modern potting machines
- Candidates must hold their PA1&PA6 spraying certificates
Standard working week for this role is 39.5 hours, with flexible working options – peak seasonal hours with some weekend working and reduced off season hours.
Holiday entitlement 33 days inclusive of Bank Holidays.
If this Nursery Manager vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Matt Parker on 01233 732767 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view more Nursery jobs, click Nursery.
To apply for a position with horticruitment you will need to complete a candidate registration form, please see Candidate Registration.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Nursery Manager vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Nursery Manager vacancy will have been unsuccessful.