Head Grower required
Job Ref S264
Our client is one of the leading suppliers of ornamental plants to the domestic and landscaping market. As a result of continued growth, they are looking to take on new growing facilities and have recently acquired a 5-acre site near Coventry. This is a great opportunity for the business to grow more of their own product in house and are now seeking a committed individual to run this new site.
The successful candidate will have experience in growing hardy ornamental nursery stock, will be FEPA qualified and a forklift driver, most importantly they will be prepared to take responsibility for the site. Whilst reporting to the companies Production Director the candidate will be a self-starter, be highly motivated and with a strong desire to produce a quality product.
This role will periodically involve managing a small team of staff but is very much a hands-on position, providing for the cultural requirements of the crop.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure all potting activity is completed to required quantities and deadlines, maximising efficiencies whilst maintaining high quality.
- Plan for and call-in production variable materials as required and in liaison with the companies purchasing team.
- Control the quality of incoming goods.
- Provide for and deliver all irrigation and crop husbandry requirements.
- Ensure crop protection and weed control requirements are met.
- Maintain excellent housekeeping, accurate inventory and records as required.
- Assist in the efficient movement of stock between sites.
- Follow company procedures and policies ensuring legislative compliance.
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent plant and pest and disease knowledge.
- Good commercial husbandry skills.
- Able to supervise and motivate direct reports.
- Enthusiastic, practical and driven with an eye for detail.
- Flexible with excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Good communication and IT skills.
If this Head Grower vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 732767 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To view more Nursery jobs, click Nursery.
To apply for a position with horticruitment you will need to complete a candidate registration form, please see Candidate Registration.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Grower vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Grower vacancy will have been unsuccessful.