General Manager required
Job Ref ADV359
Join YGS… create opportunities, build a greener future, make a difference.
Company: YGS Landscapes Limited
Job title: General Manager (Operations)
Reports to: Managing Director
Goals and Objectives:
The General Manager is responsible for managing and providing strategic guidance to company Heads of Departments, supervisors, and operative staff. This position is accountable for developing and adhering to the annual production budget, participating in new project development, and planning, attending and participating in various organisational meetings. The General Manager is also responsible for the supervision of all direct and indirect reports in a way that is beneficial to all stakeholders and helps to establish and maintain a positive relationship with them. The General Manager will maintain an understanding of all YGS procedures and systems and consistently work towards continual improvement whilst assisting the business to achieve maintain ISO 9001:2015 certification and other future goals and accreditations.
– To manage and act as a direct report line to the company Heads of Departments.
– Monitoring daily operation schedules for all departments for accuracy and ensuring daily operational goals are realised
– Track key performance indicators of operations including quality, service, safety and cost.
– Lead by example to develop a culture of continuous improvement
– Provide strategic operational guidance to the organisation through participation in meetings
– Ensure the HoDs communicate with supervisors, providing personal development and work-related performance feedback
– Improve the H&S standards in the workplace ensuring as a company we remain at the forefront of our industry
– Manage first aid provision requirements (including ensuring compliance with legislative requirements, organising training for staff, upkeep of AED etc)
– Complete monthly accident and health and safety report and analysis
– Collate poor practice data and complete annual report
– Review and update all risk assessments and H&S policies annually
– Produce RAMS and attend handovers for new projects
– Complete Site Audit Reports and provide feedback to Senior Management
– Ensure staffing and stock levels meet requirements for all project
– Manage YGS yard/ depot – oversee watering and plant care, waste management, site safety
– Manage fleet, machinery and plant maintenance schedules to optimise efficiency
– Point of contact for larger sites
– Support on-site teams during busy periods
– Support the Managing Director to develop operations budget by analysing spending and allocation of resources
– Provide budget updates and adjustments as requested by Managing Director
– All duties and responsibilities should be carried out in accordance with the agreed YGS Landscapes Policy and Procedures
– Any other duties the Company may reasonably require. Having at all times full regard for the company’s competitiveness, efficiency and general viability
– Industry and Horticultural qualifications and experience
– Excellent communication and coaching skills
– Detail orientated and organised
– Ability to receive performance feedback and react positively
– Excellent industry knowledge of equipment, products and processes
– Self-motivated, results orientated and excellent personal skills
– Must have a hands-on work ethic and be able to lead by example
– Experience in managing and leading a team
– Experience in client-focused service delivery
– Proven experience in the management and delivery of projects
– IT skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook (essential), Xero experience (desirable)
– Full, clean driving licence
– Enthusiastic, energetic and ambitious
– Adaptable and able to work under pressure
– Excellent communication across multiple departments
– Able to work alone and as part of a team
– Able to use initiative
– Proven Commercial awareness
– Results-focused with finishing attitude
– Willing to learn and continuously improve
– Customer focus
– Excellent organisational skills with attention to all detail
– Passionate about ‘making a difference
– Passionate about the environment and community
– Company phone and laptop
– Company vehicle
– Bonus scheme after 12 months served
– Proven career progression opportunities within the group
This role is offering a salary of £38,000 – £45,000, depending on experience.
Benefits: Company vehicle, laptop, 20 days holiday (+BHs), cycle to work scheme, pension, annual bonus*, Mon-Friday FT permanent contract.
For your next career move, join an established, ambitious landscaping company based in Devon. With promotional opportunities throughout the group of companies, the ideal candidate will have excellent administrative, organisational and management skills. You will have landscaping or built environment experience and enjoy a challenging workload. YGS Landscapes is an expanding company that would welcome a candidate who strives to contribute towards and indeed surpass our growth plans.
For over 30 years, YGS Landscapes Ltd have carried out all aspects of landscaping, fencing, decking, grounds maintenance and tree care throughout Devon and Cornwall.
If you have experience in people management, landscaping, general and operational management, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, or for an informal chat about the role, please send your CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with GENMAN in the subject line.