Field & Specimen Controller required
Job Ref P052
Located near Ashford, the nursery produces and supplies a large range of premium quality plants to the landscape and amenity markets. They currently have a new opportunity available to work within a dynamic, professional and successful business.
The client is looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic person with a natural horticultural flair to join their production team. The aim of the role is to drive their tree and specimen production numbers and quality forward to meet current and future demands.
The controller will have overall responsibility for all field grown stock, plus the specimen and containerised tree run areas. Reporting to the Head of Nursery Operations, duties will include overseeing a small team of up to 6 staff, carrying out all planting, husbandry, potting and lifting activities. As an ideal candidate you will have extensive production experience (preferably working with trees) and a good understanding of the horticultural industry. You will be self-motivated, efficient, and methodical with very good leadership, organisational and communication skills. Good plant knowledge and great attention to detail are essential.
A clean driving licence would also be beneficial. Full induction training will be provided for the role. Normal working hours are 7.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (Saturday morning working and working additional hours may be necessary during peak times).
Key role responsibilities include:
- Ensure all staff are appropriately trained and their training is kept up to date to ensure safe working practices when working with heavy machinery.
- Ensure adherence to the Company’s health & safety policies and processes. always maintaining a safe working area.
- Develop yearly production plans with the technical controller and ensure programmes are being followed by the team.
- Maintain quality of all products grown in fields and containers and take appropriate action where required to ensure the best possible standards.
- Actively involved in trying new products, growing techniques, and assisting with supplier visits; keeping up to date with developments in the industry.
- Ensure stock takes are being done according to established schedules.
- Liaise with the team and Head of Nursery Operations to ensure planning of labour, resources and materials is accurate and timely.
- Help develop new protocols and procedures to enhance and streamline ways of working and develop KPIs to drive the business forward.
If this Field & Specimen Controller vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Matt Parker on 01233 732767 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view more Nursery jobs, click Nursery.
To apply for a position with horticruitment you will need to complete a candidate registration form, please see Candidate Registration.
If you would like more information regarding horticultural qualifications and colleges, see our Career advice.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Field & Specimen Controller vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Field & Specimen Controller vacancy will have been unsuccessful.